The Objectives of SIWES are:
- To provide an avenue for students in the College to acquire industrial skills and experience in their course of study;
- To prepare students for the work situation they are to meet after graduation.
- To expose students to work methods and techniques in handling equipment and machinery that may not be available in their institutions.
- To make the transition from school to the world of work easier, and enhance students’ contacts for later job placement.
- To provide students with an opportunity to apply their knowledge in real work situation, thereby bridging the gap between theory and practice.
- To enlist and strengthen employers involvement in the entire educational process of preparing university graduates for employment in industry.
Generally, the duties of the unit in the management of the industrial training of the students are as stated below:
- Soliciting for Industrial Training jobs in business, industry, government and service agencies depending upon the needs and qualifications of the students.
- Placement of students in industries etc. after analyzing the technical contents of jobs provided.
- Supervision of students while on Industrial Training.
- Conducting follow-up activities regarding all students’ placements by checking regularly each student’s job performance through company visits and individual student interviews.
- Organization of seminars for students after Industrial Training programme.
- Evaluating feedback from the industry regarding the students’ Industrial training with continuous assessment of this Cooperative Education Programme in order to monitor and improve its quality.
- General management, administration and control of Industrial Training activities of students of all departments involved in industrial training at the college.
- Liaison between the College and the Industrial Training Fund (ITF), the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) and other relevant Government Agencies in the operation of Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme (S.I.W.E.S.).
- Establishing and fostering contacts between the College, Educational Institutions, Government Departments and Industries at necessary levels of cooperation